My good friend devilwrites wanted to know what books I got for Christmas, so here’s the list:
Books I bought at the used bookstore and that Matt confiscated as soon as I got home so he could give them to me:
- When True Night Falls by C. S Friedman – I have the first in this trilogy already, but haven’t read it yet.
- Arrow’s Fall by Mercedes Lackey – One of the few bits of the Valdemar series that I don’t have on my shelf already.
- Year of the Unicorn by Andre Norton – I’ve been looking for Witch World books to read for ages, but they’re out of print. I still haven’t read any, but at least I have some in hand now.
- Sorceress of the Witch World by Andre Norton
- Three Against the Witch World by Andre Norton
- Spell of the Witch World by Andre Norton
Then Matt also got me How To Be Your Dog’s Best Friend by the Monks of New Skete.
My brother-in-law Daniel gave me Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy, The Annotated Brothers Grimm (which was on my wish list), and a copy of one of his favorites, Gene Wolfe’s The Knight, which I’ve never even heard of but which I am looking forward to reading.
And then with the gift cards I got, so far I’ve bought Susan Elizabeth Phillips’s Nobody’s Baby But Mine, which was pretty good; Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty and the Silver Bullet, which was excellent; and Carol Berg’s Breath and Bone, which I’m not reading until after residency but which I anticipate will be excellent as well. I have about $50 left to spend, but I don’t know what I’ll use it for.